Monday, September 21, 2009

Moments Like These

Our nighttime routine was normal. Bath, diaper, pjs, put "baby" in crib, read one or two stories (tonight one, plus one page), sing songs. But when we got to the song parts, Nora was fidgety, so I grabbed her tight and held her close, like I used to do when she fit in one arm. And then I sang, with my eyes closed part of the time, as usual, I guess to make sure she knew her eyes should close pretty soon too. But this time, when I opened my eyes, all I saw were bright eyes and a giant grin around a red thumb. And I couldn't help but smile back. And then she giggled. And I giggled. And pretty soon we were in full-on laughter. Over nothing. And we couldn't stop. Any eye contact caused more hilarity. So I closed my eyes and tried to act serious. I finished the verse, opened my eyes, kissed her goodnight and placed her in the crib. And here I am writing it down since it is moments like these that I hope I never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment